With 2014 behind us it’s about time to stop dwelling on the games that made us gush hearts at them and start anticipating the games that we will be launching our wallets towards in furious attempts to speed up when they’re getting here. Unfortunately, shoving cash at computer screens is less than effective at actually speeding up any productions. So instead, let’s look wistfully forward into the year and see what’s coming out. Or even what’s speculated to come out this year, but isn’t confirmed, and we’re hoping madly that it actually does before somebody goes crazy. And by “we” I mean “I.” And by “somebody” I mean “I.” So now, let’s look at what I’m biting at the bit for desperately with my top ten anticipated games!
10. Evolve – I have a fascination with creepy games. Ambient horror is my favorite usually; the sort that creeps into your brain, so that as soon as the jump happens you think you may have died inside. But I’m always open to new ideas and this one sounds like it’s bringing something new to this table. It’s an asymmetrical multiplayer, four players against one, and that last player taking control of a monster that changes and grows as it eats. I don’t know about you, but I’d totally play the monster every single time. There’s just something about hunting people and becoming stronger with each thing my character swallows down that sends shivers to my very soul. I’d probably die but whatever. I’d have so much fun doing so.
9. Hyper Light Drifter – There’s a special place in my heart for role playing games, for 2D games, and for pixelated graphics. It pings a side of me that just kind of makes me want to cuddle it to death. The backdrops are gorgeous and it’s supposed to remind me of older pixel RPGs like the original Zelda games. I’m anticipating something that’ll woo me and I’d love to see it in 2015.
8. Kingdom Hearts III – I have an interesting tale about my investment in Kingdom Hearts. It started without me even touching the games, instead watching these cosplayers (Parle Productions) parody the characters in their YouTube series. This got me very interested in the story and had me looking up cutscenes because I was young and jobless and broke and there was no way anybody was going to get me both the games and the consoles to play. But slowly I’ve been gathering up games and stories and different forms of the Kingdom Hearts universe and now there’s a third one?? Something more for me to swallow up and roll around in like a dragon with her worldbuilding and character and story and more everything? Hell yes sign me up give it to me and let me play.
7. Five Nights at Freddie’s 3 – I know I love Five Nights at Freddie’s for its ability to scare the ever-loving shit out of me, but I’m not sure how it’s going to happen here. I’m a huge baby about horror games, actually, I scream and laugh and go into hysterics so it’s definitely going to give me maybe four heart attacks but there’s only one animatronic now. I’m so curious to how it’s going to wreck my mind. I’m also looking forward to all those theories about what’s going on with that place. It’s set 30 years after the closing of Freddy Fazbear’s Pizzaria and what’s it going to uncover about the mess that happened? I’m so stoked to find out more worldbuilding, always my favorite part of any game, and yes I’m going to shriek everybody’s eardrums bloody as I do.
6. Ori and the Blind Forest – I’m excited for this one for the same reasons I was excited for Child of Light: it looks gorgeous. Aesthetics can and will sell me on something really quickly and wow goodbye money you’re in their pocket time to woo this artwork. It’s something I’m willing to jump into almost blindly; admittedly I know very little about the story or gameplay but that doesn’t make me any less enthusiastic. I love the artwork trend appearing in new games and I will support that until my last cent.
5. Legend of Zelda Majora’s Mask 3D – Legend of Zelda games always give me some hype. Admittedly, I’ve never played the original Majora’s Mask. I know I know, burn the witch. But! I’m definitely going out and buying this one because I really want to know what everybody’s gone stupid over. It sounds really amazing and if it’s stolen so many hearts it will probably sink deep into mine. Plus I’m a sucker for Link, he’s such a dweeb cutie and I wanna pinch his cheeks. I think the creepy moon’s in this one though… Gross.
4. Story of Seasons – Fun fact: I didn’t get into Harvest Moon until college (and yes, Story of Seasons is a Harvest Moon game). Tori talked me into buying Harvest Moon: A New Beginning around the time she bought a 3DS so we could all play the game together and I was immediately addicted. I could be a silver haired farmboy and wear a dress and marry a girl it was so cool and everything is so cute. And now it’s going to be even more multiplayer? Yeah, it’s going to be multiplayer and Tori and I are going to forget that we have lives outside of virtual people getting married and carrying chickens. I originally got the game to play with her and we spent hours on the floor petting our cows and becoming the most awesome we can be at farming. This game is going to destroy us and it’s going to be beautiful.
3. Featherbent Arc 1 Chapter 4 – Featherbent is an independently produced game that’s entirely story based. I’m serious, it’s a visual novel. Its art is gorgeous, the voice actors are on point, and the story is captivating. It’s entirely non-profit; none of the developers are getting any sort of pay for their contribution so I’m thankful that it exists at all. It’s in episodic release and while things had been progressing so cutely before it’s suddenly taken an Extremely Dark Turn and dropped me off in the land of crazy people frothing after a cliffhanger. It’s not a good thing and I might be dying. Send help and also part four.
2. Broken Age Part 2 – I’ve been dying for the second part ever since the first one came out. The cliffhanger at the end of part one has been eating away at me very quietly for months now and I need to know what happens next. I have no reservations about being excited for this one; I’ve been in love with these characters and need more canon information on what the hell’s going on before I curl up with my fan theories and pretend reality doesn’t exist anymore.
1. Hiveswap – As genuine Homestuck Trash, I’m jumping up and down in my seat for Hiveswap. It was supposed to be released in 2014 but due to some developmental jumps (including Hussie, the creator, changing studios for the game’s creation) it has been pushed to 2015. Now, there’s not very much about when it’s coming out, unfortunately. We’re still being kept in the dark about it, save for snippets here and there of what’s to be expected in terms of character and art and story. It’s going to have so much worldbuilding and, of course, that’s my favorite thing to have dangled in front of me.
Article art by: Stephanie Janovsky (Rhen Sawyer)